Friday, July 06, 2007

7-5-07

Late post - -

Tonight was my first run after returning from Tennessee. I got up early this morning and drove for 6+ hours getting home, but we got home by 3pm. I tried to take a short nap after I got home (with little success) in preparation for the evening run. I planned on doing just 4 miles since I figured I'd be tired and worn from the traveling (I was right).

We got to the dam about 6:30pm and it was already starting to cool off pretty well. After the warm up walk, I decided to run really slowly to get my legs under me, and it worked pretty well. When I got to the 2 mile turnaround point, I was feeling pretty good, and decided I would go an additional half mile, but on the return trip, I realized that the extra distance wasn't a good idea. I had to cut back to my original 4 mile goal - I was just too worn out from the drive, and heavy food. It was still an okay run - I just hated making the commitment to another half mile in my mind, then having to back off of it. Usually when I add distance in the middle of a run, I immediately think it was a mistake, but I won't let myself decide to cut the distance until I get to the full mileage, then I'll decide if I can go the extra mileage. This time, when I got to the 4 mile mark, it was over - there was no going the extra half without it being more difficult than it needed to be.

I'm going to run the Buelah 5K on Saturday, so I'll probably only go about 2 miles on Friday. I just want to get my legs warmed up.

No comments: