Thursday, January 24, 2008

1-25-08 Thursday

Another swim night. I elected to swim tonight instead of run, so I could run Friday, when the Sportsplex closes early. I did really we despite the fact that I ate poorly today - eating on the road with other people makes it harder to eat right. I need to avoid BBQ pork, except on special occasions - and even then, in moderation.

Anyway, I did well on my swim. I swam 32 laps - and felt I could have gone longer, but the situation was troublesome. I did my laps and practice my flip turns a little. I've still got some timing issues to work out with the turns, and work on getting back to the surface and rolled over more quickly. I had to pause for a moment after 12 laps because my goggles were leaking, but I just stopped at the deep end and treaded water while I cleared the goggles ( no holding the sides of the pool). After 28 laps, one of the girls that's a lifegaurd stopped me told me I had to get out of the area I was swimming in because the 'Hydro' class was starting and no one was allowed in the un-roped area of the pool. The Hydro class is the geriatric diaper dip - and apparently one of the little old ladies didn't like me making waves. I would have gladly moved to another lane, except the swim team had just started practice and was using all the roped off lanes. I asked the girl if she could give me 1 minute to finish 2 more laps, but the only answer she could give was ' you can't be here' and 'you'll have to talk to Mr. Bobby' (the swim coach). So I exited the pool to go talk to Bobby. I asked him if he could allow me 2 more laps before being forced from the pool, and he (being as accommodating as he could under the circumstances) emptied one of the lanes of the swim team and told me to swim as long as I wanted. How is it that I'm asked to leave after swimming for 20+ minutes, and being crowded out of my lane by little old women on Styrofoam noodles - and I end up looking/feeling like the jerk for pushing the kids out of my way. I didn't want him to interrupt the swim team's warmup ( and I tried to explain that to him). I would have liked to go for 40 laps today, but that would have involved stepping on the swim team (moreso than I already had done), or getting loud and pushy with an 18yr old girl and/or and floating gaggle of old ladies. It was a lose/lose situation. Once I got back in the water ( all focus shot to pieces by now), I felt obligated to do more than 2 laps...move the kids out of the way (like had just happened to me), swim two, and leave - - - be just enough of a jerk to screw up the start of their practice. I did 4 more laps, got out, thanked the coach and headed for the showers. Yes - I am peeved about this. No, there is not a lot I can do from this point that isn't petty, rude, or un-Christian. I just find it odd that I swam today to keep from being run out of the pool before I was ready - and that's exactly what happened anyway. I shall relish my run tomorrow, all the more.

Saturday, Steph and I are going to Columbus to run in a new area. I think we'll do the riverwalk, however, I may re-direct us to Flat Rock Park, or one of the downtown parks. I plan on it being an easy 4 miler - assuming my knee doesn't get snippy.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

There is a really awesome 1.5 mile loop (2 miles if you figure 8 the course) at Lakebottom which is near downtown. I used to run there every saturday.

Plus there is an awesome Deli right off the Loop that I love.

Try the path some day if you get the chance!

Trey said...

thanks, I'll have to put that on the 'to-do' list.

Btw: how did you find my blog? - I enjoy knowing how people found it.

thanks, again

Unknown said...

a fellow runner in the community. I lived in Columbus for 2 years but have now moved over to the Macon area.