Wednesday, January 30, 2008

1-29-08 run / new shoes

Tuesday was supposed to be a 2 mile run on the Dreadmill - didn't happen. I spent a long time Saturday trying on shoes at a local store that was having a GREAT sale. I planned on getting new shoes in February, but upped the date based on a good price. I probably tried on 12 different pairs of shoes (what I didn't do, was bring my old running shoes to compare). I wanted to get the next generation of the Asics Cumulus, but they didn't have them in the size I needed, so I tried Brooks, and Mizuno's, and Nikes, and settled on a pair of Saucony. I thought I'd be happy with them, but when I started my run, I was very disappointed.

As I said, I was supposed to do 2 miles on the Dreadmill with my new shoes, but when I got to the Sportsplex, all the treadmills were being used. It wasn't terribly cold out, and I decided to just go down to the high school track next to the Sportsplex and do 8 laps. I should take this as a lesson to ALWAYS carry my gps on run days - I would have loved to gone out on some other roads. I started the run, and by about 2 laps into it, I didn't like the way the shoes felt. Not painful, or even uncomfortable, just wrong. They felt like the body of the shoe and the tongue had too much padding in it - they felt clunky. I did my 2 miles with very little knee pain, so that was good, but it the run still felt off (maybe it was just a bad run day). I went back into the gym and did push ups and sit ups until my arms and abs just wouldn't anymore.

After the workout, I packed up my gear and drove back to the store to get a refund, and they staff was very helpful. They took the shoes back without drama and helped me find a pair of Asics Kayano's that I like. I'll report on them when I run again on Friday (Wed rest, Thurs swim).

No comments: