Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wednesday 1-16-08

Monday (1-14-08) I swam 24 laps. It was a pretty good swim, and I only took one break (after 10 laps) - however, I took slow turns ( and probably was able to catch my breath a little there). I also did sit ups/push ups.

Tuesday (1-15-08) no workout - church meeting

Wednesday (1-16-08) - supposed to be a rest day - but I worked last night, and slept today - so my schedule was a little more open this afternoon. I decided to go to the sportsplex and run on the Dreadmill. When I got to the gym, it was raining lightly, and it was cold (about 34 degrees - its supposed to get pretty cold tonight). In these conditions, a smart man would have gone inside and jogged on the Dreadmill, or the walking track, or lifted weights....however.

The stubborn side showed up.

I got all the way to the door of the sportsplex and I turned back to the car. I put in my headphones, cinched up my sweatshirt hood, and strapped on my new GPS (Forerunner 201 - which I have only used ONCE!! - - New Years Morning run with Steph - we rang in the new year at a party, came home, put on our shoes and went for the first run of the new year @ 1am) - and I headed off for a cold run in the rain. It was GREAT. I kept about a 10 minute pace (3.11 miles in 32:30 - there are still a lot of features on the Forerunner that I still need to figure out). My knee made itself known around 1.5 miles (Dr. appt is tomorrow), but it was pretty mild. I ran around the sportsplex parking lot and access streets - I love not having to worry about marking out distance - I can just enjoy the run. I should have had gloves - my hands got wet and cold quickly. I should have worn wicking socks, and I should have put bandaids on my nipples ( one got a little tender once my shirt was soaked). After the run, I went inside and did sit ups and push ups.

Maybe its just my arrogant side, but I enjoy knowing that I can go out and do a run like that regardless of the weather and enjoy it, then know that the people on the ellipticals/treadmills watching cnn and talking on the phone in the gym have no idea what their missing. I know they probably think someone is little off to run outside when the gym is available.

Cold, hurting, wet, and chaffed - I still enjoyed it more than any workout since October - can't wait to do it again.

No comments: