Sunday, August 12, 2007

8-10-7 Panic Run

I was scheduled to go 6 miles tonight. Steph and I got to the dam late (heat again), and had planned to run 2 miles together, then I would run on a mile further and turn around - it didn't work out that way.

By the time we started running, it had already started to get a little darker. Steph hates running in the dark (especially alone -- understandable). When we parted ways @ 2 miles it looked like she would be getting back to the vehicles after it was full dark. We'd taken separate rides so she wouldn't have to wait around for me to finish more miles. We also hit a huge swarm of bugs just before we separated, we were both trying to run and swat both our hands in front of our faces to keep them off of us - horrible experience. We separated and I knew the park had already closed both gates over the dam. After I'd run about a quarter mile past the her turnaround my imagination started running loose - my wife alone, running in the dark, in a remote area, tired from the run and distracted by swarms of gnats. I could run through all the worst scenarios - I turned back at the 2.5 mile mark (.5 mile early), and sped up to just under a full sprint trying to catch up with her. I probably covered the next 1.5 miles in about 14 minutes. I ran at speed until my body just wouldn't let me anymore. I'd seen the vehicle that inspired all of these thoughts, and realized it was a park maintenance vehicle, and they were supposed to be there after dark, but my adrenaline kept me moving pretty fast even after that. After I had to stop, I walked on, and ran again once I got my breath back. I ran into Steph on the last leg of her cool down walk.

Moral of the story: we won't be running separated after dark anymore.

I didn't get my planned mileage in, but I did get a good sprint workout.

No comments: