Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5-14-08 (73 of 92) Does chlorine count as cologne?

After this morning's swim, I think I may have mis-estimated my distance from Monday morning. There was no estimation today.

5:00am - The alarm goes of (no matter, I'd been awake - off an on- for the last 45 minutes. Guess I still don't quite trust either myself, or the alarm.

5:03am - I ask myself "THE" question, and I get a surprisingly quick and correct answer: "Why am I doing this at this hour, again?"..."Because someone out there isn't, and on June 6th, you'll get to meet them - briefly."

5:05am - empty bladder

5:07am - see 5:05am

5:09am - clean up, suit up, roll out!

I was at the pool before the swim coach this morning. When I pulled into the parking lot, the pool windows were dark. Promptly @ 5:30, the sodium bulbs fired up. I was one of the first in the pool this morning, but I'd forgot my watch, and decided to just count laps. I had decided on the drive over, that I'd do a mile swim. I swam without hurrying - didn't swim slow, but I didn't rush, and when i felt myself trying to race the person the next lane, I made myself back off. The only breaks were a moment to clean my lenses, and every 10 laps I'd pause to move a lane floater to keep count (like on an air hockey table). I really tried to focus on 'lengthening the vessel' and not rushing my strokes. I'm averaging about 10 or 11 strokes per 25 meters - we'll see if this comes down any over the coming year.

I swam 66 laps (1650 meters). I hit the water right @ 5:30 and was out at 6:15, so 45 minutes to swim a mile. This is why I think I over estimated my laps on Monday. No matter - I've got the merit badge now.


It's odd, as days go by, each day I seem to be confidant/worried about different parts of the race. One day I'm anxious about the swim, other days I don't worry about it. Some days I worry that I'll break out too fast on the run, sometimes I hope I break out too fast. The bike alternately worries me that I'll be dead at the end and flub the swim, or that I'll have no juice left after the run, but rock the swim. All just nerves I guess. I think if I can find and afford it, I'll look for another race before the end of the summer - hopefully an open water race.

On days that I swim early, I can smell the chlorine on my hands all day long.


No comments: