Friday, July 11, 2008

Plan more

I'm not great at planning. I try to be, because I know the value of it, but I guess it's a discipline thing. Last night when I laid down I did a mental checklist of what I needed to gather up @ 5am (in the dark) for my swim. Can we already see the problem developing her? I got up @ 5 this morning, turned off my alarm (after fumbling around to find it in the dark), grabbed my phone and headed to the bathroom. I closed the door and turned on the light (lowly), I went back into the bedroom to get my shorts, swim suit, and shirt - put them all on. Went to the extra room to get my shoes, back to the bedroom to fumble for my goggles. Turned off all the lights again and went back to the computer room to get my Zune. I got my keys and ID for the pool, and was out the house by 5:20 (longer than it usually takes). I was tired - I guess I didn't rest well last night, despite getting to bed early. I drove to the pool listening to the Fredcast on the TdeF 1st stage (I try to listen to something endurance sport based on my way to the pool - - the Fredcast seems to be one of the most frequently updated.

When I pulled into the parking lot about 5:40 (10 minutes after the pool is supposed to open), there were no lights on in the pool area - not a good sign. I was locking up my phone, and Zune when I noticed why I need to plan and pack ahead...no towel. I came to swim and didn't bring my towel (kudos to any froods that get the literary reference).

I sat in the jeep contemplating what to do now - I could go inside and see if the had just not turned the lights up yet, then swim and drip all the way home, or I could go lift weights (not really prepared for that - no plan, or socks). I elected to come back home - maybe I'll run tonight. Steph is undertaking a new schedule and will be resting on Friday's so I may do a 5 or 6 miler this evening, if I don't have to work too late.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - - how many times did I see that on poster in high school?

No comments: