Saturday, March 14, 2009

3-14-09 morning run

Just got back from a 4 mile run at the rails to trails route in Valley. It was dark when I started, and it was dark when I got done. Luckily it felt a little warmer by the end. I'd planned on doing 4 miles, but I'd not set out for a certain pace - just wanted to get some miles in since the rest of the day was probably going to be hectic. I ended up doing a pretty good pace just by feel. I clocked the 4 miles in 31:59 (I never looked at the GPS except for turnaround markers - but towards the end, I was hoping for a 9 minute pace...36 mins). When I saw 32 minutes, I was a little shocked. I looked back through the lap data on the GPS and found that I sped up with each mile:

mile 1 = 8:42
mile 2 = 8:17
mile 3 = 7:31
mile 4 = 7:16

All this leads me to the realization that when I do 5K and 10K races, I probably need to get to the race soon enough to do nearly a mile of warmup (at an easy pace) to get my legs ready to run fast. Usually I try to limit the warmup to .25 to .5 miles.

Updates - I've been bad about posting workouts for this week, so I'll recount below (data taken from twitter and facebook posts)

3-12-09 3 miles at the dam before work. 8:30 pace
3-13-09 1500 meters in the pool - 34:56 - GOAL!!!! was shooting for 35 minutes.

No comments: