Thursday, June 14, 2007

C25K W8d3

Tonight was baptism night. I was scheduled to run 3 miles (I've butchered this weeks schedule pretty well). I did my warmup walk, and almost as soon as I started running, the raindrops started falling. Steph and I had intentionally waited a little while tonight to start the run - we're still remembering the blistering Saturday afternoon run. So we didn't get started until after about 6:30. It was nice and cool, and there was a VERY strong breeze from the water and across the dam. It knocked my sideways a couple of times.

I started at the .5 mile marker with the intention of running to the 2 mile marker for a 3 mile total, but when the rain started, everything just kind of fell into sync. I was singing along with the MP3 player (which luckily lives in a neoprene arm holster), the temperature was right, and I was enjoying the occasional booms of thunder. I got to the 2 mile mark, and decided that I wanted to tack on another mile to make it a 4-mile day. I had elected to not wear my watch again, so time was a non-issue. It was a GREAT run. When I got to the end, I felt like I could have gone another mile, but Steph was already finished with her run, and was walking while waiting for me to return, and she was already soaked to the bone. Also, I didn't want to risk overdoing it - as that seems to be the quick road to injury, and I've had enough of those for a while. I must have been really into it because when I passed Steph on the opposite side of the road (the rain had quit by now), she crossed over and tried to run with me for the last 1/4 mile. She said I must have been really enjoying it because when she saw me round the corner on the dam, it looked like I was flying. She tried to run the last quarter with me, but fell back relatively quickly. I told her that this fall was going to be awesome - cool evening runs, I'll be out of 'training' phase and can just build base miles and increase my weekly mileage.

Tomorrow night is the local Relay for Life event, so I'll probably be walking a good bit throughout the evening. I'm supposed to walk @ 1am. I think I'm going to take an extra change of clothes, and run my 3 miles on the outside of the track during my hour and use the rest of the hour for cooldown time - - I may go another 4-miler depending on the environment. I love being on their soft rubber track. I need to be careful to not over extend myself, and add miles to the program.

Edit: As great as the run was, it got a little worse later that evening. I didn't realize it at the time that I was making the post above, but, my soaked cotton shirt had rubbed my nipples raw over the course of my run. I didn't notice it unti I hit the shower - OUCH. Lesson learned - don't wear a shirt when it's raining, or at least use some band-aids, or surgical tape over them.

No comments: