Saturday, July 14, 2007

7-13-07 (Friday the 13th)

Tonight was kind of hard. I was scheduled for 6 miles - which I completed, and a little more, but it was still pretty hard. We waited until later in the evening again so it would be cooler, and we ran the dam route backwards again, starting at the West Point entrance. I'm liking the reverse route just because it gives a nice flat area to coast on for about 2 1/2 miles in the middle of the route, and the beginning and end are the hills. I was determined to finish 6 tonight, but at about mile 3, my legs felt like lead - there was just no snap in them at all. I pushed on through and by about mile 4 or 5 things had gotten better. I even wound up doing about a 1/4 mile more to meet up with Steph.

She was doing a 25 minute nonstop run ( with 5 minute warm-up and cool-down walks), and instead of turning around at th 13 minute mark, she just ran on to see how far she would get in 25 minutes, then she'd walk back while I was returning. We crossed paths on my return trip, at about my 3.25 marker. When I got to the end, I knew she was still a good bit behind me, so I ran by the Jeep, picked up our Gatorade bottles, and started running back again - figuring that I'd meet her, let her have her Gatorade, and we'd walk back together. Great plan, but she walks faster than me - so I met her, gave her drink to her, and started walking back, but she was pacing much faster than me, so I let her go and took a nice slow cool-down walk.


All total - I ran about 6 1/4 miles. I don't have exact times (still not wearing my watch), but I saw Steph stop running when I was at about the 3.25 mark - this equals 35 minutes (her 5 minute warm up walk, and 25 minutes of walking). So I ran my first 3 miles about about 10:30 per mile (very rough estimate) - and it FELT like the last 3 miles went faster.

Another 6 mile run scheduled for Sat Night.

No comments: