Monday, February 11, 2008

2-11-08 Monday

Wow! Um, revelation day!

The Tri is June 7th - I've started marking days on my calendar, and my goal clock is ticking (need to update the java counter on this blog). I've been looking at some training programs and most of them target 12 to 16 weeks of dedicated training, so I'm just base building for the time being until I can settle on a plan, and begin it at the correct time.

Today, I pushed myself a little with some unexpected results. I was supposed to swim tonight. I've got new goggle to test, and I'd done some research on doing flip turns at the end of the lap (gonna have to learn that since the tri-swim is at a lap pool). I decided that I would back down on the laps today since I was going to practice flips and I knew it would be more demanding on my breathing/cardio and mental focus - - I was right.

I decided on 20 laps with flip turns all the way through, then I'd get on a stationary bike and pedal for 6 miles. I REALLY need to work on the flip-turns. Most of them were almost comical. Swim, swim, swim, gulp air, nosedive/flip, kick for wall , flail for a sec until I get my stroke back....repeat. I did the 20 laps, and only came close to drowning once or twice (guess I'll need to get some nose plugs after all - I also may go for some ear plugs, unrelated to flip turns). The flip turns really took it out of me, but I did it. I hopped out of the pool and changed clothes and got on the bike, set it for level 8 of 20, and set it for a varied workout. After about 3 or 4 miles, my legs were feeling it. I've not been on my bike since this summer - I'd (foolishly) assumed that the bike portion (even at 20K) would be the easy portion of the event. I made the 6 miles in just under 20 minutes ( so I can estimate race time at about 40 mins). After the ride, I did push ups and sit ups and pull ups. I was spent after the workout - - spent in a way I haven't felt since high school.


Here's the thing (and I know I'm still a long way off from the event, but...) - FEAR. I spent a long time sitting in the locker room trying to figure out what I was feeling (besides tired)...it was doubt and fear. I've decided I WILL do this race (not just WANT to, WILL do - - I read a great article on the difference this weekend). The struggle that happened today scared me - it was the first time I'd considered if I was in over my head. I decided that I'm not, I just need to dedicate my training. All the same, it was a sobering experience.

I am training for a triathlon. I will succeed, and I will be a triathlete when I finish. The Ride, the Stride, and the Tide.

//Wonder if I should commision a new tattoo to commemorate it?//

No comments: