Friday, March 28, 2008

3-27-08 (33 of 92) SwiB - and a crowd

21/42 SwiB today, but the gym and pool were extremely crowded.

When I got to the gym, they were having a swim meet and appeared to be using most (if not all) of the lanes. So I decided to do my biking first. Since they'd already started, I thought they'd be done by the time I did my dailies, and pedaled for 42 minutes - no such luck.

The bike time was pretty uneventful again, but the crowd picked up pretty well. When I came into the gym, there were 2 people on the treadmills, and one person using equipment. I did my push ups/sit ups/pull ups/dips/leg-lifts, and moved to the only upright stationary bike. The stationary bike is getting to be a problem. I don't mind riding indoors, but I'm learning that a stationary, bolted down cycle is probably not the best thing for me.

By the time I left the gym, all the treadmills were being used, both the recumbent bikes had riders, both of the ellipticals were in use, and there were about 4 people moving around on the equipment (probably just killing time until the treadmills freed up).

- I'm starting to get saddle sores from the seat. I tend to workout fairly hard on the bike. I try to shoot for a about 3:00 to 3:15 per mile, and keep my heart rate up pretty high. The problem is that when I get to pumping pretty hard on the pedals, the seat doesn't sway with my body, so I'm rubbing on the seat and bouncing as I accelerate. Early this morning, while half asleep, I inadvertently scratched at the scabbed over, healing spot and thought I'd drawn blood. I woke up yelling, and it still hurts to bend too far.


Since the weather is better, I'm going to start taking my bike to the gym and just pedaling up the road after my swim (or before). I've also decided that once school's out, I'm going to try biking to and from work - save some gas money, too.

The swim went pretty well. They were still swimming heats when I got ready to swim, and I was able to find a clear lane through all of the 'floaters'. However, I got a little (more than a little) annoyed because towards the end of my swim, the kids who were finished with their races started playing in the pool in the lane next to me. Every lap I swam, they got encroached more and more on my lane (no lane ropes, as the roped off lanes were being used by the swim meet). By the time I was doing my last laps, I was swimming around 10 yr olds on Styrofoam noodles, and having to stop to toss play-debris out of my way. It's pushing me more and more towards doing open water swims at the dam.

The crowd is getting thicker at the pool and the weight room and assume it's just because the weather is getting pretty. Steph said the place where she gets her hair done told her that the tanning beds were getting busy, too. I guess bathing suit season is finally getting here.

No comments: