Tuesday, May 06, 2008

5-3-08 (64 of 92) RACE DAY

We ran the Hike-Bike-Run 5K for Valley Haven school. I had set the GPS for a 27 minute race, but things didn't work out too well for that. The race started with a lap around the highschool football stadium track, and Steph and I got separated quickly. I pulled out to about 60 ft ahead of pace and to get some running room, and she didn't come along. I kept an eye over my shoulder to make sure something wasn't wrong and to avoid leaving her too far behind. We eventually joined back up after about half a mile and stayed together for the rest of the race.


The pace plan however, got screwed up pretty badly (in a good way). Remember - we were shooting for another 27 minute race. The race course was a "Y" config, with 2 turnaround points. When we could see the first turn, we were about 100 ft ahead of pace. After we made the turn and came back to the same spot I'd just checked, we were over 300 ft behind pace -- "NO WAY!!!" We hadn't slowed down, and there's no way the virtual runner could have gained 400 ft on us.

I think what happened was that the GPS lost signal just before the turnaround due to the tree cover, and when it regained sync we'd already turned back, so the out-and-back-without sync caused us to 'lose' some virtual time. I tried to keep us on pace using just our speed, and I guess I just over drove us a little. Steph was pretty hammered with only 1/2 mile to go - until she could make out the timing board - we finished the course in 25:54 - - Over a minute faster than her last race. She was worn, but very proud.

The next race for her is the Midnight Express in August, and my next one is the Triathlon in June (maybe 2 tri's in June - still thinking on that one).

No comments: