Monday, June 18, 2007

C25K W9d1

Wow - Sometimes it just takes longer to recover than you want it to, and sometimes you don't help yourself much at all.

I was scheduled to go 4 miles today. This is the first time I've not made the planned distance, but everyone tells me to listen to what my body is telling me, and today it was telling me that I was in over my head. I should have turned around at the 1.5 mile turnaround, but I was scheduled for 4 miles, so I pushed on to the 2 mile turnaround. After 2.5 miles, I'd had it. I had to walk, I couldn't run any more, so I walked for half a mile, and then ran the last mile.

I guess I was still fatigued from the weekend (20+ mile walk, and blood donation), and I also dropped the nutritional ball today. Sunday, I was still recovering from the all night walk-a-thon. I got to bed about 11pm on Sat night, and didn't wake up until nearly 4pm Sunday (I never even heard the alarm go off for church). So most of may day was spent not eating. Steph and I went to Subway, and I got a foot long sandwich that I couldn't finish - too much food. So when I went to bed Sunday night, my calories (et al) were still low for the day. Today at lunch, I reasoned that since the whole household would be out tonight (except me), that I probably would be eating very lightly (I think this is what experts call rationalization), so I gave in to my craving for BBQ ribs. I went with some guys from the office to a BBQ joint and got a big plate of ribs, corn on the cob, and a baked potato (nothing fried, but still a lot of fat in the ribs). I didn't eat all of the ribs, and left the fatty ends on them (again, rationalization), but it was still a lot of food. When I started running with all that foot still on my stomach, and with a temp in the high 90's - it was a setup for disaster.

No more ribs - the price is too high. That means no chinese food, and no ribs on training days - that list keeps growing.

To add insult to injury, I had stuffed my squeeze bottle full of Gatorade in the shade of a post, and when I got back from the distasterous run, it was covered with fire-ants, I beat them off of it, but still wound up with a couple of bites.


I'm sure tomorrow will be better - I'll make sure it is. It will only be 3 miles, so I can count it as a lighter day. (As a sidebar - Steph said she had a really good run, I'm glad one of us did).

No comments: