Tuesday, October 09, 2007

10-8-07 On the Road to Recovery

Boy, that heading sounds like the start of an AA meeting, doesn't it?

I've grounded myself for 3 weeks. I'm not going to run during that time - I need to take care of my knees, and I don't want to stupidly push through an injury. I hate it. The weather is getting cooler, and I'm DYING to get out and run in the cool air. I want to start hills and speed workouts at the high school track - but no luck. I have to make sure I'm in shape for being out of town for a week in December - I want to be able to enjoy running while we're in the mountains for Christmas.

Anyway - November 1 will be my day to start running again. I've already set a reminder in my Google calendar. Until then, I'll be gym-ing it. I figure I'll do the following schedule until Nov.

Mon - Cardio - elliptical or stationary bike, and abs.
Tues - Strength training (5 minutes on elliptical for warm up, and abs).
Wed - rest.
Thurs - Cardio - elliptical or stationary bike, and abs.
Fri - Strength training and abs.
Sat - Don't know - maybe swim (depending on the schedule at the pool).

Last night, I went to gym and did 45 minutes on the elliptical - the 'cross country' routine/program is brutal. It kept my heart rate about 150-160 through most of the routine. I also did 4 sets of hanging crunches. Mike posted the video below on his blog, and I may try tind a way to incorporate this exercise into my workout. I probably need to find some ab specific routines if I'm to get to my goal.


Video: situps

No comments: