Friday, April 11, 2008

4-10-08 (45 of 92) Total Immersion

I modified the training at the last minute last night. I was supposed to do a 17/35 SwiB, but as i left work, it looked like it might rain on my. I don't mind running/cycling in the rain, but the morons on the road make is scary. They get way too close when the roads are dry - I don't want to temp them when the roads are wet (it never did rain, but...) . I've been previewing/researching a swim program called Total Immersion, and I elected to start some of the drills for my recovery week swims. When I got to the gym, I watched a few minutes of the video on my Zune (Who'd have thought that my Zune would get co-opted into a training aid - - I'd heard of MLB pitchers getting footage of opposing batters loaded on their Ipods to review during training/while traveling), then I hit the pool.

It was very disorienting. Some of the drills were just simply floating on my back and kicking. But I guess it was to get my used to relaxing while sitting so low in the water. I did about 10 laps working on this form from memory. Then I transitioned to doing the laps rolled on my side - - this was interesting because breathing has always been an issue in my swim workouts, but it suddenly wasn't. Granted, I was only working on form so speed was irrelevant, but I seemed to have more time and feel more relaxed when rolling to the surface for air. Very cool feeling.

I only did the back kicking, side kicking, and some conditioning drills - they were all I could remember the correct form with any confidence, but I'll continue watching and re-watching the vids to learn the remaining drills.

I wound up spending about an hour in the pool drilling, but I didn't feel worn out when I left.


No comments: